Since I started working in public relations five years ago, I have learned a few things about TV appearances. I’m prepping for an upcoming festival now and as I get ready for my media rounds this week I thought I would share some things that have helped me.
When going for a live on air interview:
1. Go to bed EARLY! This is my #1 rule! If you have to be at the studio by 4:45am, don’t stay up watching Letterman until midnight! If you are really nervous, try to go to sleep super early so if you wake up in the middle of the night in panic mode, you can just grab a shower and coffee and head out early.
2. Always have a phone number! Most tv and radio stations have key pads and if your not making a mid day appearance, there will not be a receptionist to let you in so get a phone number so you don’t miss your segment.
3. Prep what you are going to say. Practice makes perfect in this insistence. Even if you don’t know what they plan to ask, at least study past guest videos to see what the questions are like.
4. Always go to the bathroom when you arrive. After you are mic-d up, don’t need to use it then. It’s a hassle for production.
5. Take a water bottle or something to get a few sips before going on set. This is especially important when you are really nervous.
6. Wear something that compliments the background colors for the segment. I’ve heard to never wear black, only wear bright colors but sometimes that doesn’t go well with the set background so do your homework.
7. Always smile and have a positive energy even if you are dead tired.
8. Always be prepared for the unexpected. If your event is controversial or similar to another event, be prepared to address how your event is different and special. They will ask this!!!
Hope this helps!